Certified Public-Safety Executive (CPE) Program
Discover the leader in you.
APCO’s Certified Public-Safety Executive (CPE) Program is designed to elevate professionalism, enhance individual performance and recognize excellence in the public safety communications industry. Participants may be managers, supervisors, agency executives or others whose work and life experiences have motivated them to learn the necessary skills to successfully lead organizations within the complex and ever-changing environment in which public safety agencies operate.
Drawing on resources from renowned leadership professionals and distinguished academic sources, the program allows participants to explore topics that include management versus leadership, models/theories of leadership, leadership styles, public safety leadership issues, and executing and managing change. Program instructors include master’s and doctoral level professionals in the field of organizational development and leadership who bring a wealth of academic and practical experience to the program.
- CPE Class 05: July 4, 2018 - January 17, 2019 (capstone course January 7-17, 2019) - In Progress
- CPE Class 06: January 2, 2019 - July 18, 2019 (capstone course July 8-18, 2019) - Application deadline has passed.
- CPE Class 07: July 3, 2019 - January 16, 2020 (capstone course January 6-16, 2020)
- CPE Class 08: January 1, 2020 - July 16, 2020 (capstone course July 6-16, 2020)
The program consists of two 12-week online courses and one nine-day capstone course at APCO headquarters in Daytona Beach, Florida.
- The first of the online courses begins with an introduction to leadership concepts, leadership issues, models of leadership and leadership in the 21st century.
- The second course explores how leaders provide vision, manage change and ensure accountability.
- The program culminates with the capstone course, during which participants draw on what they’ve learned during the program to tackle challenging case studies.
Graduates of the program earn the professional designation of Certified Public-Safety Executive (CPE) and are recognized at APCO's Annual Conference & Expo in August of each year.
An applicant must:
- Possess an associate’s degree or higher OR
- Be a graduate of APCO’s Registered Public-Safety Leader (RPL) Program OR
- Have a high-school diploma AND a minimum of 10 years’ experience in public safety communications at the supervisor, manager or director level.
The CPE program is a rigorous, demanding endeavor that requires serious commitment by each participant. Students should be prepared to devote a considerable amount of time to coursework, including individual and group assignments and discussions. The program is fast-paced and reading-intensive, and demands that students keep pace with the workload and participate fully in both the online and capstone courses.
A lack of commitment will not only negatively impact the success of the individual student but of the entire class. For these reasons, applicants are encouraged to carefully consider their commitment to the program before applying.
Cost for the CPE Program is $3,500 per person and includes all course materials and distance learning fees. The cost does not include travel and accommodations for the two-week capstone course at APCO headquarters in Daytona Beach, Florida.
A fee of $250 must be paid at the time of application.
Program participants may apply for tuition assistance through APCO’s scholarship program, which is open for applications from January through March each year. Scholarship funds may be used for tuition only and may not be used for expenses related to travel, food or lodging.
The application process is designed to identify individuals whose professional goals align closely with the goals of the CPE Program. APCO is committed to selecting only those applicants who are fully committed to the successful completion of the program.
As part of the process, applicants are asked to reflect on personal and professional experiences that have influenced their careers and to articulate their interests, career goals, as well as obstacles and solutions to those goals. For this reason, applications must be submitted by the individual interested in attending the program.
An application fee of $250 must accompany the completed application form and associated documents. The fee will be deducted from tuition for successful applicants. Those not accepted to the program will receive a full refund.
Applications for the program are accepted year-round. Dates for future classes will be announced at a later date