Public safety communicators operate in an ever more complex environment. 9-1-1 communication centers face challenges mastering new technologies, handling new types of data and responding to new threats to public health and security. Our community needs to develop its leadership to address these challenges and reach higher levels of professionalism and expertise. There are a number of career paths to follow: within your present organization, within the industry, or a totally different path all together.
The professional of today needs to be more flexible and creative. The APCO Certified Public- Safety Executive (CPE) Program is designed to help foster growth and develop the leaders of tomorrow. It is important for both you and the CPE program to find a good fit between program and participants. This application will help you prepare your own development plan. Please take your time to think through your responses.
The challenge is in your hands to chart your own course and take ownership of your professional development. We recommend that you:
- Reflect on where you are in your career and how you got there.
- Reflect on where you want your career to go.
- Take stock of your strengths and how you can best use them.
- Consider areas for growth and how you can address them.
- Talk your plan over with somebody whose opinion really counts for you.
- On-the-job colleague or supervisor
- Significant others in your life
So, where do you see yourself going? Please consider each item and reply with candor. There are no right or wrong answers, just your answers.