Lead the Way With a CPE or RPL Designation
Reach your career goal in your public safety communications field by joining other emergency communications professionals in an APCO leadership program.
Registered Public-Safety Leader (RPL) Program
The RPL Program is designed for individuals interested in developing a solid foundation of management and supervisory skills necessary for successful ECC operations. It focuses on the skills needed to manage people and small teams.
The RPL Program focuses on the skills needed to manage people and small teams.
Overview of Topics
- Communication skills
- Management and supervisory skills, attitude and mindset
- Planning and conducting productive performance appraisals
- Interpersonal negotiations: Breaking down the barriers
- How to build high-performance teams
- About APCO – structure, governance, etc.
- Every four years
The CPE Program is focused on the skills and attributes necessary to lead organizations.
Overview of Topics
Introduction to Executive Leadership
- Management vs. leadership
- Models/theories of leadership
- Public safety leadership issues
- Situational leadership: Employee
- Situational leadership: Leader
- Adaptive leadership: The self
- Adaptive leadership: The organization
- Leadership styles
- Ethical leadership in the 21st century
- How leaders define themselves
- Leadership: Relating to others
- Understanding your organization
- Providing vision
- How leaders take responsibility
- Identifying problems and recognizing opportunities for change
- Leadership: Formulating courses of action
- Executing change
- Managing ongoing change
- Leaders in action
- Leadership for the 21st century
Executive Leadership in Action
- Myers-Briggs type indicator as a leadership tool
- Case studies in executive leadership
- Leadership Live: Industry-leading guest speakers
- No recertification required