As an American National Standards Institute (ANSI)-accredited Standards Developer (ASD), APCO International is dedicated to ensuring public safety communications has a role in the development of standards that affect our industry. The integrity and inclusiveness of the process results in high quality standards that assist ECCs with operational, technical and training guidance. APCO’s standards development activities have a broad scope, ranging from the actual development of standards to the representation of public safety communications in other standards development areas.
APCO Announces Final Approval of Career Progression Standard
APCO International received final approval for APCO ANS 1.122.1-2023 Career Progression Within the Public Safety Emergency Communications Center on June 2, 2023.
This operational standard places an emphasis on the need to effectively manage situations with critical decision-making responsibilities. It also offers guidance for emergency communications centers (ECCs) of all sizes on opportunities for employee growth, promotions and development of tomorrow’s leaders.
Copies of all standards are available at apcointl.org/services/standards/find-standards/
Locate operational, technical and training standards developed by APCO for the public safety communications profession.
Standards Review & Comment
The APCO ANS process allows anyone using APCO standards to have confidence that our standards are based on a consensus of views arrived at through a fair and open process. Anyone can participate in reviewing and commenting.
Help With Standards Development
Join the Standards Development Committee, one of the three subcommittees, or working groups to develop new standards and revise current standards.
APCO Standards Activities in Progress
The following standards are currently in development:
Operational Candidate ANS
- Non 9-1-1 Call Processing and Dispatch
- Supplemental Emergency Responder Recommendations
- Minimum Technical Requirements for Remote Support to Emergency Communication Center (ECC) Operations\
Technical Candidate ANS
- Common Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) GIS Identifiers
Training Candidate ANS
Revisions to Current APCO ANS Standards
- Multi-Functional Multi-Discipline CAD Minimum Functional Requirements
- Public Safety Communications Incident Handling Process
- NENA/APCO Minimum Training Standard for TTY/TDD Use in the Public
- NENA/APCO Standard for Telecommunicator Emergency Response Taskforce (TERT)
- APCO/NENA Standard for the Establishment of a QA/QI Program for ECCs
- Minimum Training Standards for Public Safety Telecommunicators
- Core Competencies and Minimum Training Standards for PSC Training Coordinator
- Core Competencies and Minimum Training Standards for PSC Training Officer (CTO)