As an American National Standards Institute (ANSI)-accredited Standards Developer (ASD), APCO International is dedicated to ensuring public safety communications has a role in the development of standards that affect our industry. APCO’s standards development activities have a broad scope, ranging from the actual development of standards to the representation of public safety communications in other standards development areas.
APCO Seeks Working Group Members to Create Two Standards
The Supplemental Emergency Responder Recommendations standard will address how ECCs can incorporate call taking processes currently in place to adapt to the use of alternative responders, such as social workers, psychiatrists, or other locally designated alternatives for non-violent situations.
The Multi-Functional, Multi-Discipline Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) Minimum Functional Requirements provides public safety agencies with tools to assist them in planning and preparing the Request for Proposal (RFP) accurately meeting the needs of their emergency communications center (ECC).
APCO Announces Final Approval of Two National Standards
APCO International received final approval from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) on April 8, 2021, for two American National Standards (ANS). Public Safety Telecommunicator Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD) Program is a revision of a current standard and Alarm Monitoring Company to Emergency Communications Center (ECC) Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) Automated Secure Alarm Protocol (ASAP) is a newly created standard.
Locate training, technical and operational standards developed by APCO for the public safety communications profession.
Standards Review & Comment
During the time a standard is open for public review and comment, any person with a direct and material interest has a right to comment on the standard and have it considered by the standards working group.
Help With Standards Development
Take your professional game to the next level and contribute to producing standards for public safety communications.
APCO Standards Activities in Progress
The following standards are currently in development:
Operational Candidate ANS
- Managing Operational Overload in the Public Safety Communications Center
- Non 9-1-1 Call Processing and Dispatch
- Supplemental Emergency Responder Recommendations
- Career Progression Within the Public Safety ECC
- Minimum Technical Requirements for Remote Support to Emergency Communication Center (ECC) Operations\
Technical Candidate ANS
- Advanced Automatic Collision Notification (AACN) Data Set
Training Candidate ANS
- Detecting Early Warning Symptoms of Stress in Public Safety Telecommunicators
Revisions to Current APCO ANS Standards
- Core Competencies and Minimum Training Standards for Public Safety Communications Manager/Director
- Core Competencies and Minimum Training Standards for Public Safety Communications Technician (CAD, Radio, GIS)
- Wireless 9-1-1 Deployment and Management Effective Practices
- Public Safety Communications Incident Handling Process
- Standard for Public Safety Telecommunicators When Responding to Calls of Missing, Abducted and Sexually Exploited Children
- Minimum Training Standard for TTY/TDD Use in the Public (Reaffirmation in progress)
- Standard for Telecommunicator Emergency Response Taskforce (TERT)