As an American National Standards Institute (ANSI)-accredited Standards Developer (ASD), APCO International is dedicated to ensuring public safety communications has a role in the development of standards that affect our industry. APCO’s standards development activities have a broad scope, ranging from the actual development of standards to the representation of public safety communications in other standards development areas.
APCO Announces Final Approval of Standard for Public Safety Telecommunicators When Responding to Calls of Missing, Abducted and Sexually Exploited Children
The Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International received final approval from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) on June 17, 2022, for a new American National Standard (ANS).
Locate training, technical and operational standards developed by APCO for the public safety communications profession.
Standards Review & Comment
During the time a standard is open for public review and comment, any person with a direct and material interest has a right to comment on the standard and have it considered by the standards working group.
Help With Standards Development
Take your professional game to the next level and contribute to producing standards for public safety communications.
APCO Standards Activities in Progress
The following standards are currently in development:
Operational Candidate ANS
- Non 9-1-1 Call Processing and Dispatch
- Supplemental Emergency Responder Recommendations
- Career Progression Within the Public Safety ECC
- Minimum Technical Requirements for Remote Support to Emergency Communication Center (ECC) Operations\
Technical Candidate ANS
- Common Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) GIS Identifiers
Training Candidate ANS
- Detecting Early Warning Symptoms of Stress in Public Safety Telecommunicators
- Core Competencies and Minimum Training Requirements for Peer Critical Incident (or Crisis) Support Team
Revisions to Current APCO ANS Standards
- Multi-Functional Multi-Discipline CAD Minimum Functional Requirements
- Wireless 9-1-1 Deployment and Management Effective Practices
- Public Safety Communications Incident Handling Process
- Minimum Training Standard for TTY/TDD Use in the Public (Reaffirmation in progress)
- Standard for Telecommunicator Emergency Response Taskforce (TERT)