Prerequisites: Students must hold a current FSC 2 certification. Does not apply to FSC Canada.
*This does not apply to Fire Service Communications 2nd Edition Canada (FSCC).
The APCO Fire Service Communications, 3rd Edition Student Update course is designed to bring current FSC 2nd Edition students up to date with the new 3rd Edition release.
The new features of the FSC 3rd Edition program include:
Content has been rewritten, revised, and updated throughout to align with the latest developments in the Fire Service and in Communications.
Many topics are new or updated from FSC 3rd Edition
- New introduction “Time is of the Essence”
- Changing Nature of the ECC Workforce/Workplace
- NG9-1-1 and Near/Next Gen Technologies
- New Fire Incident Types: Electric Vehicles and Electric Storage Systems
- Terrorism and Cyber Security
- New PSC community created for FSC 3rd Edition Students
- New Student Resources, including sample guidecards
- New practical exercises added to the course
- New PowerPoint aligned with content in FSC 3rd Edition
- Newly designed textbook in line with other APCO course manuals
Students taking the update course will independently review and familiarize themselves with the changes found in the new Fire Service Communications 3rd Edition course, then complete a final quiz based on the new material. The student must score 80% on the exam. Each student will earn 2 CDE’s upon successful completion of this course.
APCO FSC 3rd Edition certificate-holders are required to recertify every two years. Recertification requires ongoing continuing dispatch education (CDE) from training related to public safety communication. For FSC 3rd Edition, the requirement is 12 CDE credits per certificate-year for a total of 24 CDEs at the time of recertification.
Free for current FSC 2nd Edition students.
Students will work at their own pace. The class will remain open for 3 weeks. Students should anticipate two (2) hours of commitment to complete this update. Certificates will be issued within 3 weeks of course end date.
Continuing Education Credits:
The course earns 2 CDEs, upon successful completion.
For more information, please visit our FSC 3 student update course FAQs.