Standards Call to Action
As a leading public safety communications standards development organization, APCO establishes standards that are crafted by subject matter experts like you. The standards development process that APCO adheres to is a consensus-based, open and equitable balanced process. It is an excellent networking experience and a unique opportunity to enhance your professional development.
- Ensure interoperability, cost-effectiveness and innovation
- Leverage connectivity and data sharing
- Create a common language
- Establish performance benchmarks and core competencies
- Identify best practices
You can be part of the team that makes this happen. Join today.
Standards Review and Comment
As an ANSI-Accredited Standards Developer and in an effort to maintain an open process, APCO is required to publish draft candidate standards for public review and comment. Any person (organization, company, government agency, individual, etc.) with a direct and material interest has a right to participate by:
- Expressing a position and its basis
- Having that position considered, and
- Having the right to appeal.
Standards Currently Open for Review and Comment
Candidate ANS 2.106.1-201x Public Safety Grade Site Hardening Requirements
This effort documents public safety requirements regarding various characteristics to make mission critical communications wireless networks sufficiently robust to meet the service availability requirements of public safety. The effort will standardize what is required to make wireless network sites “public safety grade” or to the extent to which they are hardened. This effort specifically addresses hardening for wireless communications sites with both transmission and/or reception capabilities.
For questions regarding APCO Standards, please email: [email protected] or contact the Standards Program Manager at 920-579-1153.
Please continue to check this page for further updates. If you are aware of any current standards activities that may impact public safety communications, please email information to [email protected].
Resources and Reference
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies organized to promote the development of standardization and related activities in the world.
- The American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
- Homeland Security's SAFECOM - Technology Solutions & Standards
- Project MESA: Mobility for Emergency and Safety Applications
- ATIS/ESIF: Emergency Services Interconnection Forum
- Need help explaining the value of standardization?
- Telecommunicator Code of Ethics
Questions and Suggestions
If you have any questions, suggestions, or need for specific standards, please submit them for APCO's review to [email protected] or call the Standards Program Manager at (920) 579-1153.