Standards Review & Comment
Read, review and comment on candidate industry standards.
As an ANSI-Accredited Standards Development Organization, APCO maintains an openness in our standards development process that allows anyone to participate. The standards development that APCO adheres to uses due process through consensus-based, open and balanced procedures. There is a 45-day period when a draft candidate standard is open for public review and comment. Any person (e.g., organization, company, government agency, individual, etc.) with a direct and material interest has a right to participate by:
- Expressing a position and its basis
- Having that position considered, and
- Having the right to appeal.
All comments will be addressed by the standards working group.
Standards currently available for public review & comment
After you have downloaded and read the candidate standard, submit your comments using the Standards Comment Form.
You may also submit comments to [email protected]. Please ensure that you include the below information related to your comment(s) if submitting directly to the APCO Standards email address:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Name of candidate standard
- Page number
- Section number
- Line number
- Proposed resolution
Please continue to check this page for further updates. If you are aware of any current standards activities that may impact public safety communications, please email information to [email protected].
Resources and Reference
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies organized to promote the development of standardization and related activities in the world.
- The American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA)
- Homeland Security's SAFECOM - Technology Solutions & Standards
- Project MESA: Mobility for Emergency and Safety Applications
- ATIS/ESIF: Emergency Services Interconnection Forum
- Need help explaining the value of standardization?
- Telecommunicator Code of Ethics
Questions and Suggestions
If you have any questions, suggestions, or need for specific standards, please submit them for APCO's review to [email protected] or call the Standards Program Manager at (571) 289-7402.