Prerequisites: Although there is no pre-requisite for the course, it is recommended that registrants for this class have successfully completed a 40-hour formal basic instructor-led telecommunicator training program.
Effective communications is a critical component of fire service operations. It provides the vital link between citizens and responders. APCO Institute’s Fire Service Communications, 3rd Ed. course continues to advance fire communications training, improving service to the caller and increasing safety of the field responders. This dynamic course covers the terms, techniques and technologies required for excellence in fire service call taking and dispatch. There is also a strong focus on incident types and the pertinent information needed for dispatch in these situations.
- Anatomy of Fires
- Fire Service Apparatus and Terminology
- Role of the Fire Service Telecommunicator
- Information Gathering Techniques, Methods for Receiving Reports
- Fire Dispatch Procedures, Broadcasting
- Mutual Aid and Mutual Response Agreements
- Fire Service Incidents, including electric vehicles
- National Incident Management System and Incident Command System
- Hazardous Material Incidents
- Changing Nature of the ECC Workforce/Workplace
- NG9-1-1 and Near/Next Gen Technologies
- Terrorism and Cyber Security
- References to NFPA and APCO/ANSI standards
The course manual contains numerous photographs and illustrations to bring the course material to life and serves as an excellent reference source once back on the job. The course features numerous practical exercises, including “What Would You Do?” exercises that challenge students to think about actions they would take in real-world situations.
CDEs Earned: 32
APCO FSC 3rd Ed. certificate-holders are required to recertify every two years. Recertification requires ongoing continuing education. (CDE) from training related to public safety communication. For FSC 3rd Ed., the requirement is 12 CDE credits per certificate-year for a total of 24 CDEs at the time of recertification.
|Contract||4 days||Contact us for pricing||Contact us for pricing|
* You must be a current Associate, Full or Commercial member to receive member discounts on all courses. Online members receive member discounts on online courses only.
Late fee $25 (applied 10 days prior to course start date)
Tuition includes a comprehensive course manual and all certification fees.
Additional shipping fees may apply for international shipments.
Tuition for live courses does not include travel, lodging, meals or other costs. Online class tuition does not include web access fees or other local internet/web-related costs. Successful students will earn APCO Institute certification.